Great Migration - Photography tour (August 2022)
- Photograph the amazing African Wildlife at Masai Mara. July to September is a great time to be at Masai Mara. It coincides with the Great Migration season, often referred to as one of the greatest wonders of the natural world.
- Witness the build-up of large numbers of herbivores preparing for the migration. If you are lucky, you might even photograph a river crossing!
- Potentially get up-close with the Big 5 of African Wildlife – Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino
- Learn and explore wildlife photography in one of the world’s top wildlife destinations under the mentorship of Darter’s Wildlife Photography Expert
- Get your photographs reviewed periodically on the tour to understand your photography strengths and what you could improve upon
- Enjoy the best of African wildlife under the guidance of one of Kenya’s best wildlife guides
Day 01. Arrive in Nairobi
Transfer from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to hotel. Overnight stay at Nairobi.
Day 02. Drive from Nairobi to Masai Mara
Early morning drive from Nairobi to Masai Mara. We will reach Masai Mara around noon. We make our way to our rest-house, photographing any wildlife that we come across on the way. Check-in to the rest-house and have lunch. After lunch, we are off on our first safari drive into Masai Mara. Get ready to plunge into high-octane wildlife photography as there might be interesting action at any time in this great wilderness. After sunset, we drive back to the resthouse. We will have an interactive introduction session to Masai Mara before dinner. We retire for the day after dinner.
Day 03 to Day 05. Safaris at Masai Mara
These are long days of wildlife safaris and photography as we explore different areas of the Mara. Starting around sunrise, we will pack breakfast to ensure that we make the best of morning light and will only return to the rest-house for lunch. We again set off after lunch for another safari till sunset. The wonderful biodiversity of the Mara should give you ample photography opportunities through these 5 days.
Day 6 Drive from Masai Mara to Nairobi.
Tour Ends Today, we head out from Masai Mara after breakfast, with our memory cards teeming with photographs. We will stop for lunch on the way before making our way to Nairobi Airport.
Frequently Asked Questions
This tour is for wildlife photographers and wildlife enthusiasts who want to explore and photograph the wildlife of Africa. The timing coincides with the Great Migration of herbivores in Masai Mara, often referred to as one of the greatest wonders of the natural world. Note that the participants are not required to be experts in photography or carry professional equipment. Due to the small group size, beginners as well as serious photographers benefit through our personalized attention to photography sessions and on field assistance. Non photographers, interested in exploring wildlife of Masai Mara, are welcome too.
How do we reach Nairobi?
Nairobi (NBO) is well connected from most international airports. If you plan to reach on August 16, it is recommended that you take a flight that reaches before 5:00AM. Please note that flights to and from Nairobi are not part of the tour price.
Are Visa and Vaccination needed for Kenya?
You can apply for e Visa for Kenya at https://accounts.ecitizen.go.ke/register
Two vaccinations – Yellow Fever Vaccine and Oral Polio Vaccine – are required for travel to Kenya. These are administered in all major cities with different schedules. Please ensure that you take them at least 2 weeks before you travel. In India, the Yellow Fever Vaccination center in your city can be found here. Oral Polio Vaccination centers are available state-wise in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (Govt. of India) website.
What would be mode of transport during safaris?
On this tour, you will be in a safari vehicle specially modified for photographers. Each safari vehicle will have only 3 participants at any time. Your photography mentor will alternate between the safari vehicles on different days. The number of participants is limited to ensure that everyone in the vehicle gets ample space to photograph the wildlife of Masai Mara.
I am not a keen photographer. But I want to visit Masai Mara with your group. Can I still join?
Yes. If you are interested to explore African wildlife and (possibly) witness the Great Migration, you are welcome to join this tour. Please note that we do not offer a separate non-photographer pricing.
Can I bring my non-photographer partner with me?
Yes, you can. We visit one of the most awesome wildlife destinations in the world on this photography tour. Your partner will enjoy the journey with the group. Please note that we do not offer a separate non-photographer pricing.
What photography equipment is needed for the tour?
We recommend telephoto lenses reaching up to at least 400mm focal length to photograph wildlife at a distance. And please carry a shorter focal length lens to photograph the landscapes of Masai Mara. Please talk to us to decide on the photography equipment that you need to carry for the tour.
Tour Price: USD 2700 per person (inclusive of all applicable taxes)
The tour price includes:
- Accommodation at Nairobi (on August 15) on twin-sharing basis
- Accommodation at Masai Mara (6 nights) on twin-sharing basis
- All meals starting with Lunch on Day 2 and ending with Breakfast on Day 5
- Pickup from Nairobi airport/recommended hotel on Day 1 morning and Drop at Nairobi airport on Day 6
- Safaris in a specially modified vehicle
- Services of photography mentor and wildlife guide through the tour
All applicable taxes
The tour price does not include:
- Travel from your location to Nairobi and back
- Visa Fees and Vaccination
- Travel Insurance
- Meals on Day 1 and meals after breakfast on Day 8
- Additional water bottles, food, or beverages, alcoholic and non-alcoholic
- All expenses of personal nature (laundry, telephone calls, etc.)
- Tips and Gratuities (please budget around USD 25 per day)
Please note: The itinerary mentioned in this page is subject to favorable weather and road conditions. In case of bad weather and inaccessibility to a destination, we will do our best to make alternate plans. The tour price or any part of it will not be refunded in the event of unfavorable conditions anytime during the tour days. Wildlife sightings depend on various factors, including weather, availability of food and the animal showing up in our vicinity.
No refunds will be made if a participant is unable to complete the tour owing to medical conditions or any other reasons, after starting the tour. All participants would have to sign a Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk & Arbitration Agreement before joining the tour. We are always ready to help. Pick a package or call us to arrange a custom package.